Levels

Wednesday 18 April 2018

Language Snippets - Some Phrasal Verbs


Examples:

- The company turned around from losses of £1.4 million last year to profits of £26,800
-  I turned around quickly to see if anyone was following me.
- She broke off their engagement only a few weeks before they were due to be married.
- The US has broken off diplomatic relations with the regime.
- She started to speak, then broke off while a waitress served us coffee.
- Billy showed me the article he’d cut out of the magazine.
- The children were cutting out squares from the scraps of material.
- Cut out the bit about racial prejudice.
- I tucked the children in.
- The ice creams came and we tucked in.
- They tucked into a hearty breakfast of eggs.
- I gave most of my books away when I left college.
- Give your old clothes away to a thrift shop.
- We have 1,000 CDs to give away to our readers.
- He gave away as little information as possible.
- You’d better take back that remark!
- If the shirt doesn’t fit, take it back.
- She took her coat off and hung it up.
- I said goodbye and hung up.
- I think I’ll turn in early tonight.
- Margrove’s wife finally turned him in.
- Rescuers had to call off the search because of worsening weather conditions.
-  The trip to Italy might be called off.
- Call your dog off.
- He tore off his clothes and dived into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment